Welcome to the year-end 2022 episode of The Great Security Debate.
In this hour, Brian, Erik, and Dan cover myriad ways hiring processes are failing job seekers and hiring organisations. It all kicked off with the impersonal nature of automated 1-way video interviews. It quickly jumped into the myriad of other ways we can do better on both sides, including (but not limited to):
- Do video interviews encourage fraud? Multiple jobs for one person? A fake version of you applying for a job?
- Why are hiring managers and HR using video interviews? Are there legitimate reasons?
- Does the lack of ability to assess the candidate’s response to the interviewer’s response makes the interview less effective?
- What is the impression left when a candidate is immediately rejected based on analytics and matching, not human interaction?
- What’s the value of using your network around a broken applicant system? What do we lose by only depending on our networks for hiring?
- How do these recorded methods exclude introverts and others that may not be camera comfortable in their presentation skills?
- Can and should there be roles for people at higher levels that don’t include people management?
- Is “AI” (term used in quotes on purpose) really the antithesis of diversity or inclusion?
- How is connecting people to others and helping them expand their networks better than sending resumes to people you know?
- In times of cash crunch, will hiring come from experienced people having been let go from roles, or hiring entry-level and ups killing them?
You’ll also get a few mentions of Buzzword Bingo; the shocking revelation that Brian works for a vendor; and Dan goes on a tirade about new software that does recording and analysis in Zoom meetings with and without permission. It’s another great debate!
We also have a video channel on YouTube that airs the “with pictures” edition of the podcast. Please head to https://youtube.com/@greatsecuritydebate and watch, subscribe and “like” the episodes.
Some of the links in the show notes contain affiliate links that may earn a commission should you choose to make a purchase using these links. Using these links supports The Great Security Debate, so we appreciate it when you use them. We do not make our recommendations based on the availability or benefits of these affiliate links.
Thanks for listening!
- Our Love-Hate Relationship With Security Certifications
- Cyber Certifications – The Self Licking Ice Cream Cone of Misery
- The Great Security Debate Episode 45: Live From the Big House
- The Great Security Debate Episode 43: New Team, Who Dis?
- Michigan Council of Women in Technology Foundation / Michigan council of women in technology foundation
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking: Cain, Susan: 9780307352156: Amazon.com: Books
- Check Out How Tesla’s In-Cabin Camera Analyses Your Face
- Evil Call Recording Software: Rated #1 By Sales Pros | Gong
- David Franco | LinkedIn
- Living & Learning Enrichment Center
- Alexa, how did Amazon’s voice assistant rack up a $10bn loss? | John Naughton | The Guardian