Current global events have led to increased focus on technology security. In this week’s episode we debate to what extent this does or will confirm the rise of the information security roles within organisations. Our thoughts and good wishes go out to the people of Ukraine.
- Do current events confirm that the rise of the CISO organisation was warranted?
- How do CISOs sleep at night considering everything going on?
- How to reply to the question “what else should we be doing?”
- Are the attacks the primary objective or are they a smokescreen?
- How does the game of chess tie into to information security practises?
- What is the CISOs role in reducing FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt)?
- Will current information it pay for acts of war? Does it raise our collective stature?
- Why is humility so important in the information security world?
The underlying message is that while it is late in the process now to do all the steps to protect your organisation, it’s never too late to get started!
We also have a video channel on YouTube that airs the “with pictures” edition of the podcast. Please head over to https://bit.ly/gsdyoutube and watch, subscribe and “like” the episodes.
Some of the links in the show notes contain affiliate links that may earn a commission should you chose to make a purchase using these links. Using these links supports The Great Security Debate, so we appreciate it when you do use them. We do not make our recommendations based on the availabliity or benefits from these affiliate links.
Thanks for listening!
- HermeticWiper | New Destructive Malware Used In Cyber Attacks on Ukraine – SentinelOne
- The Untold Story of NotPetya, the Most Devastating Cyberattack in History | WIRED
- Amazon.com: Sandworm: A New Era of Cyberwar and the Hunt for the Kremlin’s Most Dangerous Hackers eBook : Greenberg, Andy: Kindle Store
- Elon Musk says SpaceX’s internet service is available in Ukraine
- Destructive Malware Targeting Organizations in Ukraine | CISA
- Morris worm – Wikipedia
- Amazon.com: Dawn of the Code War: America’s Battle Against Russia, China, and the Rising Global Cyber Threat eBook : Carlin, John P., Graff, Garrett M.: Kindle Store
- Moonlight Maze – Wikipedia
- New Shadow Brokers 0-day subscription forces high-risk gamble on whitehats | Ars Technica
- An NSA-derived ransomware worm is shutting down computers worldwide | Ars Technica
- FIRST – Improving Security Together
- Conti ransomware group announces support for Russian invasion of Ukraine, threatens retaliation
- Maersk says global IT breakdown caused by cyber attack | Reuters
- GitHub – Netflix/chaosmonkey: Chaos Monkey is a resiliency tool that helps applications tolerate random instance failures.