This week’s episode was sparked by a recent TechCrunch article https://techcrunch.com/2022/02/01/free-agent-series-a/ asking whether tech workers should have agents to negotiate their salaries. We took up the debate on this and a few adjacent topics including:
- The Great Resignation’s impact on working habits
- Should security practitioners and leaders be represented by “agents” to negotiate better compensation for roles?
- What are the ways that formal agents exacerbate bias and increase the gaps between levels?
- The importance of networks for getting advice to help you be your own “agent”
- Is it the Great Resignation or the Great Realisation?
- How do ethics and values play into staff’s desire to go to or stay at a company?
- At different levels in one’s career who can help be your agent of change? We should not be afraid to talk about our salaries and numbers
And yes, those are Pączki on Brian’s hat. If you are not sure what this about, take a look at the video version on our YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAYRL1flZic
We also have a video channel on YouTube that airs the “with pictures” edition of the podcast. Please head over to https://bit.ly/gsdyoutube and watch, subscribe and “like” the episodes.
Some of the links in the show notes contain affiliate links that may earn a commission should you chose to make a purchase using these links. Using these links supports The Great Security Debate, so we appreciate it when you do use them. We do not make our recommendations based on the availabliity or benefits from these affiliate links.
Thanks for listening!
- Who Is Driving the Great Resignation?
- The Great Resignation looks more like The Great Renegotiation : Planet Money : NPR
- Business Roundtable Redefines the Purpose of a Corporation to Promote ‘An Economy That Serves All Americans’ | Business Roundtable
- The Infinite Game: Sinek, Simon: 9780735213500: Amazon.com: Books
- Scott Boras
- How to Negotiate the Tech Salary You Deserve – The New Stack
- Amazon.com: Lego Movie 70819 Bad Cop Car Chase : Toys & Games
- Amazon.com: Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly eBook : Bourdain, Anthony: Kindle Store
- MentorCore – Growth and Development at your Fingertips
- Home | CSA
- Google to work with Ford on Detroit research hub – ABC News
- Fun Fact | Undeniably Dairy – YouTube